History of the Eunice & James L. West Library
The Eunice and James L. West Library is named in honor of the late Eunice and James L. West of Fort Worth. It is only the second building constructed by Texas Wesleyan specifically for library services.
On October 29, 1980, Mr. and Mrs.West gave away $15.4 million in Tandy Corporation stock to eleven schools and organizations, $12 million of which went to Texas Wesleyan College for the construction of a new library. This was the largest single gift ever donated to Texas Wesleyan.
James L. West was an executive with the Tandy Corporation. He started working for Hinckley-Tandy Leather Corporation (a forerunner of Tandy Corporation) in 1930 and continued to rise through the ranks of the organization, eventually being chosen as president of Tandy Corporation in 1964 and then vice chairman of the Board of Directors in 1974. Mr. West served on the Board of Trustees of Texas Wesleyan College from 1975 until his death on November 11, 1983.
Mr. West met the former Eunice East in St. Louis, Missouri. At the time of his death, they had been married for 46 years. Together, Mr. and Mrs. West shared a heartfelt belief in the value of education and an interest in young people.
The West Library was designed by Cannady, Jackson & Ryan of Houston. Groundbreaking Ceremonies for the library were held on April 2, 1986, with Mrs. West joining Dr. Jerry Bawcom, President of the College; Bishop John Russell; and Daniel Crouse, President of the Student Government Association, in turning the dirt. Construction was completed in May 1988 and the library opened for business at the start of the first summer term. The West Library was dedicated on October 21, 1988 with H. Ross Perot delivering the keynote address.