You are here
About Our Collections
General Collection -- 3rd Floor and Online
The general collection is the main library collection, and consists of print and electronic resources.
Reference Collection -- 1st Floor and Online
The reference collection consists of print and online resources that are mainly consulted for finding specific information. Items from this collection cannot be checked out, but are used in the library only.
Juvenile Collection -- 1st Floor
The collection consists of books representative of a K-12 library. The collection is mainly used by students studying in the School of Education, but the collection is certainly available to the entire Texas Wesleyan community. The books are available for checkout with regular checkout privileges.
Special Collections -- 3rd Floor and Online
The Special Collections department preserves rare and special materials, inlcuding an extensive book collection as well as information on local history in a variety of formats. The Special Collections Department houses the archives of Texas Wesleyan University, The Bobby Bragan Collection, The H. Howard Hughes Performing Arts Collection, and other archival and personal collections related to the history of the University or Polytechnic Heights. An appointment can be scheduled by emailing the Special Collections Department to view the archival collection on site. However, much of the collection can also be accessed online via the Digital Archive.
Digital Collections -- Online
The digital collection is comprised of digital files of West Library archives, and academic work created by faculty, students and the Texas Wesleyan community. The Digital Archive database holds digital archives. The Academic Archive is Texas Wesleyan University's institutional repository where all outstanding academic work can be accessed.
Periodical Collection -- 2nd Floor and Online
Periodicals consist of databases, journals, newspapers, magazines, indexes, and abstracts. Those periodicals held in print and microform formats are available on the second floor, and cannot be checked out from the library. The vast online periodical collection is accessible by using the Online Resources A to Z or Subject lists and the Periodical Finder.
Audio/Visual Collection -- 1st floor and Online
The physical Audio/Visual collection is comprised of CDs, DVDs, and vinyl records. These are available to browse on the first floor, and fall under regular checkout policies. The digital A/V collection is extensive. Digital items are accessible by searching the library catalog, or finding the following collections via the Online Resources A to Z list:
- Classical Music Library
- American History in Video
- Films on Demand
- Women and Social Movements
- Opposing Viewpoints
- Ambrose Digital
- Counseling and Therapy in Video
- Digital Theater Plus
Game Collection -- 1st Floor
The Game Collection is comprised of board, card, and other types of games for audiences from elementary up to adult. The collection is displayed on the back wall on the first floor. Game boxes should be taken to the circulation desk for checkout -- maximum of 5 games at one time. Patrons are also welcome to play the games in the library (1st and 2nd floors only).
There are several donated collections housed separately within the West Library:
- The Joe Brown Theater Collection is comprised of books tailored to the subject of theater arts, donated by distinguished faculty member Mr. Joe Brown.
- The Twyla Miranda Juvenile Collection is comprised of children's and young adult books, donated by distinguished faculty member, Dr. Twyla Miranda.
- The Bobby Bragan Collection is located in Special Collections on the 3rd floor. Bobby Bragan's association with professional baseball spans more than 60 years. Locally, he is remembered as the player and manager for the Fort Worth Cats from 1948 through 1953. The collection includes jerseys, letters, photographs, posters and other memorabilia related to the various teams Mr. Bragan has been associated with over the course of his career.